Car accidents happen on the road every day. While you may always drive defensively, sadly, even the best drivers can still be involved in accidents due to other negligent or reckless motorists. At Chris Morrow Law, PLLC, we believe that keeping Texans informed in regards to auto wrecks is a key step toward keeping our roads safe.
The Texas Department of Transportation collects annual data on car accidents in the Lone Star State, including how often car crashes happen, the number of injuries and deaths that result, and the common causes of these incidents. Below are some of the crash facts from the 2019 calendar year taken from this agency:
- One person was killed every 2 hours and 25 minutes
- One person was injured every 2 minutes 3 seconds
- One reportable crash occurred every 56 seconds
- 256,797 persons were injured in motor vehicle traffic crashes.
- There were 12,907 serious injury crashes in Texas in 2019 with 15,855 people sustaining a serious injury.
- There were 3,623 deaths as a result of Texas car crashes in 2019.
- Single vehicle, run-off the road crashes resulted in 1,172 deaths in 2019. This was
- 32.35% of all motor vehicle traffic deaths in 2019.
- There were 735 people killed in crashes occurring in intersections or related to an intersection.
- There were 597 people killed in head-on crashes.
- There were no deathless days on Texas roadways in 2019.
- There was one crash that resulted in 6 or more fatalities.
- Wednesday, June 5th and Saturday, December 7th were the deadliest days in 2019 with 21 people killed in traffic crashes. December was the deadliest month with 334 people killed.
- Of all persons killed in vehicles where restraint usage was applicable and usage was known in 2019, 42.38% were reported as not restrained when the fatal crash occurred.
- There were 413 motorcyclists (operators and passengers) killed.
- Pedestrian fatalities totaled 661 in 2019. This was a 5.09% increase from 2018.
- There were 68 pedacyclist fatalities totaled in 2019.
- There were 914 people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes where a driver was under the influence of alcohol. This is 25% of the total number of people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes.
- There were 378 people killed in crashes involving distracted driving.
Injured in a Texas Auto Accident?
When you have been injured in a car accident because of someone else’s negligence, you need an experienced team on your side. For more than 25 years, head attorney Chris Morrow has been advocating for the rights of injured Texans in order to help them get the proper medical treatment they require and the monetary compensation they deserve. Let us help you on the path to recovery, too.
Get help from the attorney that works! Contact our Austin car accident attorneys to get started with your free consultation today!