How to Find the Right Personal Injury Lawyer in Austin, Texas?
Finding a good personal injury lawyer in Austin, TX can feel like a monumental task. Just by searching on google, you can scroll through hundreds of law firms, all of which claim to employ the best Austin personal injury lawyers.
For the best possible chances of securing a favorable outcome, you need to take the time to research your choices before making a final decision about which personal injury lawyer to hire to take on your personal injury lawsuit.
For example, is your potential lawyer a skilled litigator? Do they have a good reputation, and do they have a track record of success in similar cases to yours?
In this article we are going to lay down some advice on what to look for in a personal injury lawyer. This should allow you to make an educated decision from a place of informed clarity.
The Importance of a Good Lawyer
Choosing the right Austin, TX, personal injury lawyer will mean that you have the best chances of pursuing the right level of compensation for your damages, such as your medical bills, pain and suffering and lost wages.
Ask for Recommendations!
One good way to look for a potential attorney is to ask friends and colleagues for referrals. Most people have a friend or family member who has needed legal representation, and this is an excellent place to start.
Meet With Several Personal Injury Lawyers
Once you have created a shortlist of potential personal injury lawyers, you should ask which of them offer a free consultation and initial case evaluation. Arrange a meeting with your top choices and take the time to feel them out. Remember, you could be spending the next couple of years working with your attorney, so make sure you feel comfortable in their presence.
It is a smart idea to create a list of questions to ask your potential attorney.
Ensure That the Law Firm Regularly Handles Personal Injury Accident Claims
If the attorney you decide to hire does not have a strong reputation as a skilled litigator, there is a good chance the insurance company on the other side will see this as an opportunity. Insurance companies know which attorneys have a reputation for aggressive and capable litigation and this means they will be more likely to settle as they know your attorney has a strong reputation in the courtroom.
For this reason, it is important that you do not hire an Austin, TX, attorney that is known for settling personal injury claims for less than they are worth. If you have been injured in an accident that was not your fault, you deserve to pursue the full amount you may be owed.
Using an attorney who dedicates most of their professional time to personal injury cases is a good decision. If your chosen law firm works in family law, employment law, criminal defense, and personal injury, they may not be the right choice.
Specialization is important in this case, as they can use their experience in personal injury law to spot the common defense tactics that are used by insurance companies.
At Chris Morrow Law, PLLC, all of our attorneys have a wealth of experience in litigating cases and securing a settlement for their clients that accurately represents their suffering.
Never Pick a Personal Injury Attorney Based on a Billboard or Television Ad
Just because a firm has decided to pay for advertisement on TV, does not mean that they are the best law firm in Austin, TX. In fact, many of the best personal injury law firms in the state do not require advertisement at all. Instead, they get a constant stream of clients from reputation and referrals.
Ask About their Fee Structure. Do They Work on a Contingency Fee Basis?
Many personal injury attorneys, ours included, work on a contingency fee basis. This means it costs nothing up front to pursue your claim. We only take payment if we can win you a settlement. This means the law firm takes on the risks, removing the worry of losing the case from the client.
If we do win you a settlement, contingency fee basis work usually equates to a flat percentage of the eventual settlement. This should be discussed with you upfront in your free initial consultation.
Check That the Firm Has the Resources Necessary to Win Your Case
In order to fight your case in the most capable way, your Austin, TX, personal injury lawyer may need to call upon certain experts. Incidents such as car accidents may require a crash scene expert, and medical malpractice cases may require a medical expert.
A good law firm will ensure that they spend the money and resources to secure you a win, and won’t cut corners when it comes to your investigation.
Ensure Your Lawyer Is Up to Date on the Law
Personal injury law changes constantly, and it is important that your attorney keeps up to date on the most recent changes. They should be constantly educating themselves and improving their skill.
We take pride in this at Chris Morrow Law, our attorneys are constantly striving to improve their skills and expand their knowledge.
Check Their AVVO Rating
AVVO.com is an independent directory that rates attorneys based on a number of factors. These factors include years of service, client reviews, peer reviews, awards, accolades, and accreditations. The score is between 1.00 and 10.00, and we highly recommend checking your potential attorney’s rating before making a decision.
A reputable law firm will ensure that AVVO receives a full and complete list of information regarding their attorneys. This ensures that the ratings are accurate and kept up to date. These ratings can easily be found when searching for an attorney’s name.
Find Out What Damages They Will Claim For
A skilled attorney will know how to maximize your compensation by accounting for all of your damages.
Your economic damages refer to expenses you have had to pay or will have to pay that are directly related to the incident, such as:
- Past and current medical costs – If you have suffered medical expenses as a result of the accident, they need to be included in any settlement. This covers all past and current costs.
- Future medical costs – If, as a result of the accident, you are going to require long-term or life-long treatment, your attorney may need to speak to an expert to gauge what this should look like in terms of compensation.
- Physical therapy and home health care services – If you are going to require physical therapy, you should be compensated for the cost of this treatment for as long as it is necessary to make a full recovery.
- Loss of wages/Earning capacity – If you have suffered a loss of wages or earning capacity as a result of your accident, you deserve to seek compensation for this. Your attorney will look at what you have lost and what you stand to lose. If your injuries mean that you will never be able to return to work in the same capacity, your attorney may consult with financial experts to judge what a lifetime of lost earning capacity should look like in terms of compensation.
- Cost of lost services – If you need to hire help to assist you in performing the tasks that you would normally do yourself, you should be able to pursue compensation to cover their costs as long as you need them.
A good personal injury attorney will work closely with you to establish the full extent of your economic losses. They will also consider any future losses and ensure that these are included in your compensation package. Economic losses are different for every victim, and the amount will depend largely on the extent of your injuries. One of our accident lawyers can explain in detail what types of compensation you are entitled to under Florida law during your free consultation, so call us today to find out more.
Your non-economic damages cover you for the non-monetary losses and damages you have suffered. These damages are subjective, meaning the more skill your attorney has in past cases, the better they will be equipped to calculate these damages:
- Pain and suffering – Injury victims often go through a lot of physical pain and mental distress as a result of the accident. You should be compensated for this and any loss of enjoyment of life, such as losing the ability to play basketball with friends.
- Mental and emotional suffering – Many victims will suffer from PTSD or anxiety following their accident. Car accident victims may no longer feel safe in cars, and medical malpractice victims may no longer feel safe in hospitals.
- Physical impairment – You may not be able to carry out normal daily tasks anymore and you should be compensated for this restriction. The more restricted your life has now become, the higher the compensation.
- Wrongful death – If a loved one or spouse has been killed in an accident, you may need to raise a wrongful death case. Wrongful death claims are more complex than other personal injury claims and can provide financial security during the difficult period the family is going through.
A skilled attorney will know how important non-economic damages are and will work hard to ensure they are accurately represented in the claim.
Punitive damages can only be awarded in court by a Judge, so if your case settles, you will not be able to seek them. They are awarded by a Judge when they believe that an act of gross negligence caused the accident. These types of damages are awarded in very rare cases.
They are designed as a punishment to make an example of the at-fault party.
The Deadline for Filing a Personal Injury Claim in Texas
Under Texas law, you only have a certain amount of time to raise a personal injury lawsuit after the accident. This is for two reasons. The first reason is a legal one, the statute of limitations. This places a legal time limit to make a claim relating to the incident.
In Texas, that time is Two Years.
This time limit is designed to ensure that evidence and witnesses are reliable and prevents victims from raising lawsuits decades down the line.
A personal injury lawyer from Chris Morrow Law can explain how the statute of limitations applies to your case.
The second reason to raise a claim in a timely manner is that your chances of success are much higher if you get in touch and begin your claim as soon as possible. The longer you give your attorney to raise a claim and the longer they have to investigate, the stronger your case.
Why Choose Chris Morrow Law to Handle Your Personal Injury Lawsuits?
Here at Chris Morrow Law, we have a reputation for aggressive representation and holding insurance companies accountable for the damages they should pay out. Insurance companies know about our reputation and are more likely to give better offers to clients as they know we are impeccable litigators and are not scared to fight it out in court.
Call Chris Morrow Law for a Personal Injury Lawyer in Austin Today
If you have suffered injuries from an accident that was not your fault, you should seek personal injury representation. Make sure you do your research and take the time to arrange meetings with your potential lawyer.
At Chris Morrow Law, we offer a client-lawyer relationship built on trust and understanding. We take the time to make our clients feel confident and valued, listening to your case and fighting ruthlessly for you as your advocates.